Friday, May 22, 2009

Starting now.

You know you live in a small town when you walk into the library and say, "Hi...I need to learn to speak Khmer as fast as humanly possible," and the librarian gets all excited and goes, "You're Nikki! I already put some things aside for you."

The focus of the next two months for me will really be on learning some basic phrases in Khmer and trying to learn the alphabet. I've looked at it, and right now it doesn't really make all that much sense to me. There are so many loops and swirls and I don't think a single letter has a straight line. It's radically different than English and even worlds apart from Chinese...I know that with time and practice it will come, but that doesn't stop the occasional wave of "ooooh man..." from washing over me.

I can do this though.

A little time, a lot of patience, and a double measure of hard work...that's all it really takes, right?

1 comment:

  1. Hey Nikki thanks for reading my blog. I'm going to upload some new stories soon, so keep checking back. Congrats on getting your placement! We're all really excited to meet the K3's this summer. Don't stress too much. You'll be fine. You just gotta have a LOT of patience over here. You'll see what I mean soon enough. For packing stuff, you should check out our facebook group. The K2's have been posting their recommendations on the packing list since the one PC gave you is undoubtedly crap (ours was, and K1's was too). Enjoy the last 2 months of America. Use you washing machine every day, eat lots of good bread, cheese, and chocolate, and really savor the last 2 months of toilet paper. See ya in a few months.

    ReplyDelete