Wednesday, May 13, 2009

So it begins...

I am a flip-flop wearing, tree hugging, grass-roots hippie. I believe in the power of community service and duty to one's family and environment. I believe in the power of love, friendship, and humility. I believe that this world will only sink farther and farther into the depths of despair unless we, the citizens of such a marvelous planet, take steps to reach out to one another in faith and compassion.

It is with these beliefs that seven months ago I began the long process of applying for, and being accepted into, the Peace Corps.

I received my acceptance packet today, and I'm excited to know that I will be living and working as a servant-leader in Cambodia. I'll be teaching English there, learning the language, loving the people, and hopefully, growing some.

My present departure date is set for July 20, 2009 and I'm told there is pretty reliable internet in Cambodia, especially in the bigger cities, so I hope to be able to write about the next two and a half years of my life with some regularity.

Thanks for reading.

With blessings and love,

Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment