Thursday, May 14, 2009

I've got the "Let's Go!" bug...

I just accepted my placement literally less than 8 hours ago, and already I'm ready to be in Cambodia. I've been doing research since just a little after I found out where they wanted me to go, and it looks like Cambodia is an awesome place to be. Yes, the country has had a very rough, tumultuous past but its future is brighter than ever and as a people they have made many advances.

The entire country is slightly smaller than the state of Oklahoma and has a population of roughly 15 million (that's five times the number of Sooners in OK). Its climate is warm and wet, with some months receiving over 10 inches of rain and little temperature variation between seasons. From what I've been told, the seasons are "hot, hot and wet, and wet". At least as a native of the Pacific Northwest I'll have the "wet" part down!

Thus far my research indicates that I should not take a whole lot of stuff with me--nearly everything I could ever want (with the exception of a laptop) can be procured in country at a VERY reasonable price...my plan right now is to pack light. Some of the more seasoned Peace Corps Volunteers have given me this advice: "Don't pack as though you're going to be living somewhere for two years. Pack for a week and a half. That's all you'll need." I thought that was a bit odd, but considering if you bring much more clothes than that they'll get eaten by rats, I'm pretty confident I can do quite well with about a weeks worth of stuff!

And...besides...I don't really have that much stuff anyway.

2 comments:

  1. Nikki, this is awesome! It's totally what I would have expected of you. I remember thinking, when sitting with you in some of our classes that you wouldn't be the type to stay in the states very long. :-)

    What is the Christian population like in Cambodia? How easy (or hard) will it be to find a body of believers to fellowship with there?

    Much love to ya, sista.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jerrod! I'm super excited to get going...

    Cambodia is 95% Buddhist. I'm excited to get to spend time in a new culture and learn more about what the Buddhist philosophy, and hopefully shine some Light. :D

    ReplyDelete