Sunday, June 20, 2010

A little remodeling

As you can see, I've made a few changes to my blog, and I like the new look very much.

July is officially just around the corner and that means my parents will be here to visit my beloved Cambodia! Well, and me...they are coming to visit me too ;)

As a Peace Corps Volunteer, it is part of my job to educate Americans about Cambodians and to share with them some of the things I'm learning, hence this blog. I believe, though, that my parents' visit is a big part of that cross cultural exchange.

My parents, as incredible and awesome as they are, have a much larger sphere of influence than I do. If I can show them Cambodia in a way that helps them understand the history and future of this country, then they become a big source of education for all their friends and colleagues back home. Or at least get those same people interested enough to contact me to learn more.

I wish I could send all the love I have for this place to you, so you could understand. There are a lot of very broken, very damaged people here. But there is also a lot of hope and progress. Mother Teresa once said, "if we have no peace it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other." I believe this is true, and the responsibility that comes with that is both humbling and awesome.

1 comment: