Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Bored, much?

October 1st marked the 30th anniversary of the first day of school following the overthrow of the Khmer Rouge. Many do not understand the importance of a day like this, but to a country whose entire educational class was systematically destroyed...it is a really important day.

Since October 1st I have eagerly been trying to observe the teachers in my school, but for several reasons (none of which I really understand), nobody has been doing much teaching at all. So instead, I get to sit around the picnic tables at my school and conduct what the Peace Corps calls IRB-ing. That is, Intentional Relationship Building. I think over the last 14 days I've built some really good relationships!

Other than shooting the breeze for four hours a day with various teachers, I've been reading a lot. I am thankful each and every day to my parents for getting me a Kindle. It is really a fantastic device, and is presently keeping me sane.

Another thing that has been keeping me in good spirits is the care package my parents sent. Not only did the send the much needed USB cord for my camera, they sent hair conditioner (YAY!!!) and some Easy Mac macaroni and cheese....I have been craving mac and cheese for SO long. The fact that I cannot get milk or butter here is frustrating, but having some that I only need to boil water for makes me quite happy! They also included some tea, which I am really really enjoying--I'm a tea nut, I guess.

Other than that I have been watching episodes of Grey's Anatomy and House on my laptop, and am finding that Greys Anatomy is AMAZING with all its gooey drama, and it also includes stunning views of home...and House...well...everybody needs a stethescope wielding misanthrope in their life, right?

By the end of this week I am promised a teaching schedule, which means I should be able to observe all my classes by the beginning of next week. That will help me get a good idea of how to better serve my school and the teachers I work with. And that is a beautiful thing.

Until next time, love and blessings from Cambodia!

No comments:

Post a Comment